Weeeeeeeeeeee… wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry… Oh, right. It’s not Christmas. Except… in the words of someone I can’t remember but I think it was an OYANer – CHRISTMAS ISN’T OVER UNTIL THE LAST LORD LEAPS.
I meant to do a Christmas post. I really did. But then Christmas actually happened, and I couldn’t figure out how to say what I wanted to say, and now it’s New Year’s. So I guess I’ll use that planned post next year. If I can remember.
So without further ado – HAPPY NEW YEAR!
While it’s an undeniable fact that 2016 was not a good year if you were a beloved and aging celebrity, I have to say it was one of the best years to happen to me in a long time.
A Few Reasons
- I became Orthodox. Easily the greatest and most awesome (in the truest sense of the word) thing to have happened to me this year.
- I knit a TARDIS pillow. It is a TARDIS. It is squishy. It lives on my bed. I love it.
- I went to the OYAN Summer Workshop. If it weren’t for the fact that I became Orthodox, this would take the place of greatest thing to happen this year, and in perhaps my life.
- I visited family in Texas for the first time in 3 years, saw OYANers as well, and flew by myself on the way back. The first two were amazing, the last was… nerve wracking.
- I started this blog! Hello! *waves*
- I turned sixteen and came to the realization that I am the older teenager that I’ve looked up to all my life. Scary thought.
- I started my first part-time job. I nanny, and the little one is adorable.
- NaNoWriMo happened, and with it the whole craziness of our blogging-writing hangouts. You guys are the best.
- I neared the end of my very first original novel. Still not done yet, but close!!
- My first OYAN friend ever got married.
- I got a flute for Christmas and I can make pretty noises come out of it! Well, if you call Mary Had a Little Lamb pretty. But still.
- An OYANer came over and spent the morning with me, and then I got to sneak into the 18+ Winter Workshop and see some of my best friends for the first time since June. It’s one of the last things to happen this past year and I made so many good memories.
- Finally, my Grandparents came up for the first time in a long time and visited over the weekend.
So, really, all in all, this has been one of the best years in a long time for me, and I find myself looking forward and ahead to 2017.
Speaking of 2017… over the past few months things have been popping up that are going to happen and I’m very, very excited for them.
- 2 of my online, live-in-a-different-country friends are moving to the States within the first couple of months and I’ll probably get to see both of them! *bounces*
- The OYAN Summer Workshop again. Because I am not missing that for the world.
- Pascha is coming! It comes every year, of course, but that doesn’t mean I anticipate it any less.
- The various NaNos and Camp NaNos that I hope to attend.
- I shall probably (hopefully) finish my book this year.
Even if only one of these things actually ends up happening (and Pascha is certain to happen) 2017 is shaping up to be a pretty good year.
Happy New Year, everybody, and Merry Christmas!
What’s the best thing that happened to you last year? Is there anything you’re really looking forward to with this new year?